As a trusted San Jose security guard company, we’re always looking for ways to keep the local community safe. And with the first semester of the 2014 school year underway, we wanted to share some college campus security tips so that students can stay safe on and around campus.
College life can be extremely exciting for a young adult. College begins a new stage of life, opening the door to a lot more freedom, fun and opportunities. Even though there is a temptation to throw caution to the wind, living on or near a campus still has its dangers. Individuals can be lurking to catch the most unsuspecting students and criminal activities still take place. To avoid any dangers, use the following safety:
- Never walk alone at night. It is much easier for a suspicious individual attack or jump a single student than a group. If you have a night class, see if there is someone that can walk with you each week.
- When walking on campus and using headphones, do not turn the volume to the highest setting. Keep the volume at a level where you can still hear what’s going on around you.
- Upon returning to a dorm room or an apartment, always lock the door and be sure that this door is locked in the evenings and overnight.
- Keep track of all personal belongings and valuables. In addition, do not leave really important information out such as social security cards and bank statements.
- Be sure to keep the phone number of the campus safety department in your phone. You may also want to program it as a speed dial number for emergencies.
- Get a mini-alarm key chain. These mini-alarms can get up to 115 dB. When caught in a dangerous situation, pull the activation pin to notify someone you’re in danger.
- When at a party, never accept a drink from a stranger and always have a designated driver when alcohol is involved.
These are a few of the important safety precautions to take. They may sound extreme, but with more and more college students running into disasters around campus, it is better to be safe than sorry.
To learn more about security or protection for individuals, schools, businesses or other events, contact ADS Guards in San Jose today. We provide security patrol in San Jose as well as tailored security services for events and special occasions. Call us at 1-800-794-1550 for more information.