Get a Price Quote

All * Fields are Required.

Becoming a Security Guard with a Felony or Misdemeanor on Your Record

If you have a felony or misdemeanor conviction, you may have a few limitations if trying to work in the field of security, especially if you have been charged with a violent crime. Even if the charge is nonviolent or a misdemeanor, there may still be limitations depending on the crime committed.

With a criminal record, you might find it difficult to acquire a firearm permit as well. Many applicants convicted of felonies will not be issued permits, and if you have a misdemeanor that prohibits possessing a firearm, you will also not be issued a permit. Permit restrictions can also apply to those who have temporary restraining orders and those who have a crime of violence on record. A violent crime can range from domestic violence to the illegal possession of any weapon.

For applicants with a misdemeanor on record, it should be clarified that a professional license can still be acquired depending on the conviction. However, prospective San Jose security guards convicted of theft, trespassing, or various types of criminal mischief might be denied certification. 

However, if you are convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, are a resident of California, and are facing these limitations, you might be eligible for a Certificate of Rehabilitation. Acquiring this certificate will no longer deny you access to a license because of your record. Each county in California has its own qualifications, but you can typically expect the following conditions: 

  • You will need to have lived in California for 5 years following your release from prison.
  • You will need to request a court hearing for your certificate. At least 30 days prior to your hearing, you need to notify the governor’s office, your county’s district attorney, or the district attorney of the county of your conviction.
  • You will need to assemble documents for the courts to review, such as psychiatric and medical evaluations, prison and trial records, and documents from your parole and probation officers.

Know you can hire a lawyer for aid throughout your application and that there are no filing fees for rehabilitation certificate applications in California.

To learn more about the legalities of becoming a security guard, contact ADS Guards. We provide highly trained unarmed and armed guards in San Jose for commercial and residential properties. Call us today at 1-800-794-1550 for more information.